Monday, September 16, 2013

This is Not Your Parent's Africa


From talking to everyone back at home, and from my perception of Africa before coming here, I've realized that much of the world continues to look at Africa through the lens of films like Born Free and Tarzan. While elements of that time are permanently woven into the culture, it's so much more than a savage and wild jungle with people running around in loincloths (or nothing at all). There is a marked lack of information because not much has made it out of Africa post colonialism. Here I've experienced a hodge podge of culture with everything from talismans against sorcery and the continuation of female circumcision, to skinny jeans and cell phones in almost every hand. With the rest of the world rapidly developing and moving forward, Guinea is struggling to balance their rich heritage with “western thinking.” So many things like electricity, water, taxis, etc don't work here, but thinks like community are something they have that much of the modern world has lost. I'm interested to see how life works in my village, because I've had a skewed view living in a larger town. The villages tend to be much more primitive, but again, with most people owning cell-phones, information travels rapidly and they are not as primitive as we once would have considered them. I would also like to point out that those films mentioned above gave me unrealistic expectations about seeing awesome animals like elephants and lions wandering around. Instead all I've seen is chickens, ducks, sheep, and the occasional cow!


“God made water, fire and the earth but it's the women who make the food!” My five year old host brother declared this the other day and it speaks volumes about what they think of women here. From the age of six or seven girls are expected to help around the house with cooking, laundry, cleaning, and the list goes on. Once they start going to school, they have to balance school with all the work they have at home. They have no time to study, and a lot only stay in school because it's a break from their work! I won't even get started on an education rant because I have two years to work on that one! Sadly, the women who have worked hard to pass school and go to university then can't find a job, and no one wants to marry them because of the fact that they are educated. I know two amazing (and beautiful) women here at the training center who try to do what work they can but don't have the support of a husband. They are proof that women can do it, but for now, only the strongest can be expected to follow through with it.

So, I know I've mentioned training a ton. What did it do? Did it work? Well it was long I can tell you that! Overall, I think it was pretty useful. In July I didn't think I could ever teach a math class to real Guinean students! Now, I've done three weeks of teaching, feel a lot more comfortable, and I think my students have been learning. Unfortunately, during practice school I would have classes with around twenty students, so I don't feel ready to face my 91 students at site! Language training didn't go as well as one would hope. The program is amazing for those coming in with no French. Their capacity to speak and express themselves in amazing, while I don't feel that mine has improved much, if at all. There were also a lot of dry sessions that probably had important things in them, but most of it was lost on us. I know a lot of the sessions are required and give us a basic knowledge of things like community development, PC policies, and corruption, to name a few. It's been a tough three months, but I think it was worth it, I know I've learned a ton, and I am eager to apply everything I learned.

This will most likely be my last weekly post. From now on, expect monthly ones! I swear-in as a volunteer on Wednesday, and leave for my village Thursday. There I will have no electricity and no running water. I may or may not have access to internet that runs off the cell-phone tower (on va voir). I've heard the moment you realize you are really here in Africa doing this is when the Peace Corps vehicle drives away and leaves you all alone at site. Naturally, I am pretty nervous about this because I will be alone in a village where I don't speak the local language, and the locals don't speak much french! I know for a fact I will get really good at hand gestures, and will suffer for many awkward moments. Until next time!  

No comments:

Post a Comment