Wednesday, April 2, 2014

MISC

Ebola

Just wanted to let you all know that I'm alive and well! As you may or may not know, there has  been an ebola virus outbreak here in Guinea. It started in the forest region, but has recently spread to the capital city. As scary as Ebola sounds, as long as you aren't hanging around with infected people, or touching the corpses of those who have died, the risk is very small. I'll keep you updated of course, but it doesn't look like it will be bad enough to get us evacuated.

People Magazine 

If my village had their own version of People Magazine, I would be on the cover every month. People follow me around every day, they scream my name when they see me, and they are always taking photos and videos of me. I was in the middle of teaching last week when I looked up and noticed a student videotaping me! I'm sure my students alone could fill pages of those unattractive “real life” star pictures they like to include in magazines. As far as the gossip columns, I can only imagine what would circulate, because the people in my village spend a ridiculous time talking about me. Where I'm going, what I'm doing, what I'm eating. Everything. “Kadiatou was late for school today.” “Kadiatou went for a run today and she didn't greet me. She is so rude.” “Kadiatou bought rice at the market. Will she make rice and sauce for dinner?” “Did you see Kadiatou walking with so-and-so? I bet they are dating!”. They seem to find the most mundane things that I do worthy of conversation. They even discuss my fashion. “Did you see what Kadiatou was wearing today? It was so pretty!” I've recently noticed some of my girl students wearing copies of my dresses. I've even had someone ask to borrow my clothes so that they could have a tailor replicate it for them! You know what they say. Imitation is the sincerest form of praise. Being such a celebrity can be really overwhelming. Everyone here knows my name, and wants to talk to me. They carefully watch and judge everything in a manner some might call crazy. I often find myself wondering if this is how celebrities feel? I never thought I would find myself walking in their shoes!


Upcoming Events

Tomorrow marks month NINE in Guinea. Boy does time fly.

My family will be arriving Guinea this Sunday for Spring Break! I cannot wait to see them and to show them Guinea and my day-to-day life.

World Book Day is coming up, meaning that I will have 300 mini-books to distribute to my students. These books are a mixture of fables, plays, and fairytales that come in both French and English. This is part of a Peace Corps literacy initiative throughout the country. I haven't yet planned my World Book Day activity, so if you have any suggestions, feel free to email me 

2 comments: