Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Palm Plantation

Lately my good days have been few and far between and I spend most of my time in my house reading. So I was relieved by an afternoon bike ride to a palm plantation where I harvested palm nuts with my own hands!

There were two kinds of palm trees on the plantation. One type was the typical, tall one shown in this picture, and the other type had the same leaves, but no trunk.
This is me with my student's dad and some random old lady. They were thrilled to have a white person and we had a blast speaking in Susu!

This is me with my student's mom
These are palm nuts growing at the base of the tree (second type)  

Harvesting the palm nuts 

"Finished" product. You can eat palm nuts straight from the tree. They are oily and very fibrous.

There I was, in the middle of nowhere, just living life. Aside from my student, his dad, his mom, and the old lady, not a single person in the world knew where I was! It's always weird to have those moments when I realize that's my life.


I would have loved to have spent more time on the plantation, but after checking out the palm trees and the rice fields, I returned home with memories, pictures, and about 30 mangoes to add to the 15 already rotting on my kitchen table.  

3 comments:

  1. Nice! I wondered what those palm nuts were when I saw them in the market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought maybe you had to climb the palm tree to get the nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, pressing them gives the red "palm oil" we all know and love?
    Are the berries tasty, or just oily and fibrous?

    ReplyDelete