Wednesday, June 25, 2014

On Being Sick


There are some questions that only have one possible answer. These include “does it taste good” or if you've been sick, “are you feeling better.” Any answer other than the acceptable one results in an explanation of the question and the repetition of said question until you breakdown and just tell them “yes it tastes good” or “yes I'm feeling better.”

The question about food doesn't bother me too much. Although I remember one night during training when it bothered me a lot. I was served pastel-colored rehydrated prawn chips which had the consistency of styrofoam. When they asked me if they tasted good, I said as politely as I could that I didn’t really like them. (Don't ask a question you are prepared to hear the answer to, right?) Well, their solution was to mix the styrofoam chips with mashed up hot peppers. After a few bites, they asked me if it tasted good and kept asking me until I finally through the tears, I choked out a yes.
Now when it comes to my health, I hate that I always have to lie and say that things are just peachy. Just last week, I had a fever coupled with the worst headache of my life and I was sprawled out on the floor because if I moved, shooting pains ravaged my head and would bring me to tears. My neighbor knocked on the door and I grunted out a hello and an I'm sick. “Oh. You are sick? But you are getting better, right?” No I'm not getting better I thought. Only you can't say there, you have to say yes, I'm getting better, thanks. This encounter happened hourly throughout the entire day. It must have been obvious to them I wasn't doing better, but they continued to ask, and I had to continue to lie. The last time I dared to respond in the negative, the following conversation took place.
Neighbor: Kadiatou, are you feeling better?
Me: No
Neighbor: Kadiatou, are you feeling better?
Me: No
Neighbor: EHHHHH...Kadiatou. You don't understand the question?
Me: No I understood, but...
Neighbor: No. You don't understand. I'm asking if you feel better. You respond yes to that question. You can't say no. Kadiatou, are you feeling better?
Me: Yes
Neighbor : Thanks be to God
So, like most conversations I have here, I have to lie to prevent a long-winded conversation that makes me look stupid.

This time instead of answering a query, I'm asking the question: why do they do this? Why can't you say that you aren't feeling better? It's gotta be great for doctors when their patients tell them everything is fine even when it's worse than before! If anyone has any light to shed on this issue, please let me know.  

No comments:

Post a Comment