Friday, November 8, 2013

This house is not a home

...yet! I've started a series of home improvement projects since my arrival and I'm proud to say that 2 are finished! First, I asked the village carpenter to make me a dresser. I drew a nice diagram and everything and this is what I got…


Not exactly what I wanted! I was told that making a dresser was impossible in Guinea (aka he's too lazy) and so I ended up with a series of hooks. I then took empty toilet paper rolls I had been saving and combined with duct tape and string made some hangers! So it wasn't a total fail. At least some of my clothes have finally made it out of my suitcase.


The second project is the following

I bought a painting during training and wanted to hang it. I then cut up some plywood and colored the pieces with chalk and/or sharpies and put up all my pictures. Isn't it cute?

Future projects include things like curtains, place mats, coasters, shelves and decorating my kitchen. Petit à petit! I'm pretty sure I already have the most arty house in the entire village.

No comments:

Post a Comment