Monday, November 4, 2013

A Series of Unfortunate (and Discouraging) Cultural Clashes


Imagine the worst gossiper you've ever met. Now, combine that with that one neighbor who always has to know your business. Finally, imagine 3600+ people worse than that all living in the same place and who, apparently, have chosen you as their sole topic of conversation. It's more than enough to drive one crazy. I can't walk out your front door without everyone demanding to know where I am going and why. If I manage to get through that, no matter where I go, everyone will scream at me saying things like FOTE. A word here which means white person, or really anybody who is foreign. Just being different isn't enough. They feel the need to point that out at every opportunity. I can't do simple things like hang up a hammock without it becoming a village affair. If in fact I do manage to get it up, people will ridicule me and scream my name until I respond to them. The people here discuss everything I do at great length, and usually point out why (or how) it's wrong. I get yelled at for what I eat for breakfast (apparently eating bread without drinking coffee invites constipation, and eating banana's “c'est pas bon”), for not taking my bike to school, and my personal favorite, I've bee yelled at for being sick! They try to control every aspect of my life not even trying to imagine what I'm going through. How do I know they aren't trying to imagine? They always tell me to forget about the US and my family because life here is “really sweet” and “there shouldn't be any problems”. In addition, they take every chance they get to tell me how horrible my Susu is and ask why I can't speak it like the guy who was here before me. Due to this, my motivation for learning Susu has been declining rapidly. They ridicule my Susu in front of their friends, and point out that I can't speak the language. They also love to use it as a tool to make me uncomfortable asking me direct questions like “Do you want me?” “No? Well, why not? Do you hate all black men?” I've occasionally expressed how much this bothers me to people who speaks French, but they even turn that against me. Ironically, they give me such a hard time about not knowing the language, yet even when I say things right, they criticize it and proceed to say exactly what I just said. They don't want me to be right, but they want me to speak the language. What do these people expect from me? People are constantly coming up to me and demanding (not asking) that I give them money, my cellphone, or even a visa to the United States. They have 0 boundaries and have no respect for me. I realize that a lot of it is cultural, but a big chuck is because I'm white and an easy target. Maybe they feel like they can get away with more? That being said, I am seriously convinced that every guy in the country becomes creepy at a young age and that they never grow out of it. I've had 6th graders hitting on me this week! Finally, people are always “helping” me. It's not a nice, hey do you need a hand, but rather it's them grabbing what is in my hands and doing it for me. They do this even when it's obvious I'm not struggling and can do it just as well (or better) than them. I asked a Guinean about this and he said it's because I can't do things for myself. When I gave an example of a situation where it was obvious I could do it, he didn't have an explanation so he resorted to laughing at me and shaking his head; something they do very well here. Again, it's a completely different world here and the culture is different, but it's made adjusting (especially recently) to life here really hard and often makes me question and reconsider the fact that I'm here.

7 comments:

  1. Christine, perhaps their attitude is fundamentally misogynistic? How do the men treat their own women? And you need to maintain your dignity in the face of their ignorant ridicule if your ever expect them to respect you. First thing, learn to speak Susu better than the rest of them.

    This is an opportunity for you to grow, not a reason to quit.

    Love,

    - Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listen to your Uncle. And your mother. You are strong! Think of the good you have already done, which is significant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Listen to your uncle. And to your mother. This is how their culture is. They probably don't understand your reaction to it, because it's all they know. Concentrate on the good you have already done there, which is significant. You are strong and beautiful inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Christine, a friend of mine actually had the same exact experience in her PC placement country and got moved. They called her "white" too, constantly and degradingly, even though she was black/african american, because they called all foreigners "white." I think you have to tell PC admin if you think you are in danger physically, but how much emotional stress you can take is your call! Good luck, and glad the next post is more hopeful! Probably helps to vent...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a friend who had a very similar experience in the PC and got her placement moved, the village constantly harassed her and called her white (in a derogatory way) even though she was black/African American ...all foreigners were called white. I think you have to say something to your PC support if you are in physical danger, but how much emotional stress you can take is up to you...good luck! Glad the next post is more hopeful! Maybe it helps to vent...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I second Joe about it possibly stemming from a misogynistic culture, coupled with the fact that you are white and foreign. I also second the learning the language better. It's just another way to show that you take their culture seriously, along with everything else you've been doing, and can help earn you respect.

    I really hope things improve for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Btw that last comment was me, Ulyssa lol. Forgot to say that.

    ReplyDelete